Sunday, April 09, 2006

Takin it back


Spring is in the air and as the flesh parade begins, I pray that soon that stick in the eye that is Pocahontas Boots and their endless variations will soon be replaced with anything more aesthetically pleasing. As part of all that spring ushers in, I've torn my little apartment apart in that delightful ritual of spring cleaning. Along with my black heart sock and an old bag of Captain Black I've found some older work from my monochromatic past.
This little gem is from a period when I lived and breathed type forms. Like many a lad who grew up in Brooklyn in the late 70's, weaned on a steady diet of hip hop and bad metal, I grew fascinated with the exploding world of type around me. The bubbling letters of the trains that made the upstate girls swoon in second grade. The sharp, bleeding text of hardcore bands that looked so bad ass scrawled on the brown paper covering my science textbooks.
This drawing draws from both realms, referencing both the ever changing world of graffiti and fantasy lore of 80's metal. If you look close you'll notice that the letters make an evil dragon. Ooooh scary!!! Okay so maybe its more of an D&d vibe, but it's still on my my favorite pieces from my blackbook. Now to see what else lies beneath my bed...